This is a simple supper recipe that I cooked up on Thursday. It turned out surprisingly well. Such is not always the case with my food “experiments”.
And yes, it is hot outside lately. Eat the soup slightly warm with a cold side dish and you have it made. It works.
My family might as well be hobbits. We don’t have hairy feet but we do like to eat a lot. The little ones more so. And we crave simple flavorful food.
I love simple. I love easy. Sometimes I don’t want to share any recipes ’cause I’m like, “Nah. That’s too easy. Not interesting”. But seriously. This one is surprisingly flavorful and good. I say that because the only seasoning is salt and pepper, yet it tastes like there is more.
We all loved it, except for J, who tends to be a trifle finicky. At least he loves raw carrots. (Suprises me greatly.)
Work with what you’ve got. I had potatoes, carrots and onions so I used those. Any root veggies typically blend well. Ground turkey is a good sub for ground beef as well. Use what you’ve got. You might be suprised at how well it turns out.
Delicious Beef & Root Vegetable Soup
- 2 large white baking potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, halved and sliced.
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 2 beef bouillon cubes (I use Massel 7’s brand)
- s & p
- Boil potatoes (cover with at least 2″ of water).
- Add the carrots.
- Cook the ground beef with the onion until the onion has softened (slightly translucent). While cooking, season with s & p.
- Add beef bouillon cubes to soup pot. Dissolve, then add meat mixture.
- Let cook 5-10 minutes, or till reduced and tender to your liking.
Happy cooking with the po-ta-toes!